Last week I downloaded my copy of Windows Vista and this weekend I reinstalled my laptop with Vista.
Today I came to work and connected to the network to start my work. I have installed Visual Studio 2005 team suite and the team foundation client. I did this from a external hard drive that contains lots of different versions of installations since the early beta’s. For some stupid reason I must have installed a wrong version of the team foundation client. Because of that I spend whole day to figure out what was wrong.
I tried to connect to our team foundation server and I constantly received the error:
Since it was a new Vista installation I suspected something went wrong with security. This suspicion was backed up by the fact that I found the server IIS log to write entries like:
2006-11-20 12:30:56 W3SVC2 172.16.3.212 POST /Services/v1.0/Registration.asmx – 8080 – 172.16.3.12 Team+Foundation+(TF.exe,+8.0.50727.43) 401 2 2148074254
Here you can see the 401: not authorized, that made me think I had an authentication problem.
Fortunately I had another desktop with Vista running as well (RC2) that did work. So I went trough all the setting, but I found them all the same. I contacted my colleague Raimond and asked him if he could think of anything. He gave me the tip to run the TF command from a Visual Studio 2005 prompt, to see if it would give me a different error message that could help me out. And as a matter of fact, it did! It gave me the following error message:
Team Foundation Server pdcsrv01 does not exist or is not accessible at this time Technical information (for administrator):
Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header SOAPAction:
This appeared to be a live saver, because from this message I could see that the SoapAction used was an old one. The current version of the SoapAction is now :
I verified this using the working desktop and using fiddler to capture the HTTP traffic going to the server.
I must say it would have been very helpful if Microsoft would have generated a more informative error message like: The server received a request from an old version of the client tools, please verify you use the correct version.
Any way, it is working now on my Vista OS, so I am happy again, but it did unfortunately took quite some time to figure this out.
CTO at Xpirit, Microsoft Regional Director, Visual studio ALM MVP, Speaker, Pluralsight Author and IT Architect Consultant